by Amanda Lin
There is a common misbelief that the mature market is not active on the internet. However, there has been a continual increase in the amount of seniors surfing the web since 2000. This presents advertisers with a new channel to market to seniors, giving them the abilities to utilize digital, social media and SEO marketing.
Here are five reasons why advertisers should market to senior citizens online.
- There has been a significant increase in internet usage among the mature market. According to research conducted by Pew Research Center in 2013, the majority of seniors (53%) now use the internet. This is a significant increase from the Pew’s first study in 2000, when only 13% of the older adults were surfing the web.
- Senior citizens are now more active than ever on social media sites. There are currently 39 million senior citizens over the age of 65 on Facebook, Twitter and Skype. Among those who use the internet, 46% of them use Facebook. Whether it is to keep in touch with friends or share photos, older adults have made social networks a part of their daily life.
- Over 60% of the mature market is on the internet using search engines.
- In a 2012 study conducted by Pew Research Center, 86% of adults over the age of 65 use email, with 48% of them checking their inboxes daily.
- In just 2012, the percentage of those over 65 who owned a tablet increased by 7%.
From the statistics gathered by the Pew Research Center, we can conclude that internet usage has become a part of the daily lives of senior citizens. Since there are now more seniors on social media than ever before, advertisers should utilize this increase by implementing strategic ad placements on social networks. Similarly, they should be placing ads using SEO strategies and email blasts. The increase in tablet ownership means more downloaded apps and therefore a new channel for advertisers to reach out and strengthen their brand name with in-app advertising.